State of Texas LPC Associate Process
- Masters Degree or PhD in Counseling or Psychology from an accredited university and completion of all classes and practicum as required by the LPC Board. For more detailed information go to the LPC Board's website at www.bhec.texas.gov/texas-state-board-of-examiners-of-professional-counselors/index.html
- Successful completion of the National Counselor Exam (NCE) or the National Clinical Mental Health Counselor (NCMHC) Exam
- Complete a supervision contract form which both parties must sign.
- Apply for LPC Licensure. All LPC Associate documents are to be sent to the Texas State Board of Examiners. Your application process may take up to six weeks to be processed.
- An Associate must obtain 3,000 total clock hours while under supervision, 1,500 hours must be direct client contact during a minimum of 18 months.
- Maintain accurate records of logged hours, supervised hours, and supervision notes.
- Obtain malpractice insurance. There are several options available such as CPH, HPSO, American Professional Agency, and Hiscox.
- Please refer to the Texas Administrative Code for further information at www.bhec.texas.gov/statues-and-rules/index.html